To transfer the contents of a WordPress website from one domain name to another domain name, follow these steps:
- Backup Your Website: Before making any changes, it's important to backup your website to ensure that you don't lose any data during the transfer process. You can use a plugin like UpdraftPlus to backup your website.
- Export Your Website's Content: In your WordPress dashboard, go to Tools > Export. Here, you can export all of your website's content (posts, pages, comments, etc.) into an XML file.
- Login to WordPress on the new domain name: Log in to your new WordPress website and install the same theme, and plugins before you import the website. Configure and copy the settings from the source website.
- Import Your Website's Content: In your new WordPress dashboard, go to Tools > Import. Here, you can import the XML file that you exported in step 2.
- Update Your Website's URLs: Once the content has been imported, you'll need to update any URLs in your website to ensure they point to the new domain name. You can use a plugin like Velvet Blues Update URLs to automate this process.
- Test Your Website: Finally, test your website to ensure everything is working as expected. Make sure all the links are working properly, and that the website is displaying correctly.
Once you've completed these steps, your WordPress website should be successfully transferred to your new domain name.